Wednesday, November 3, 2010

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go*

There has been a lot of knitting and "traveling" lately. 

As I mentioned before, most of the knitting is Christmas knitting, so I can't really post pictures of anything.  However, in the midst of Christmas knitting, I was working on my sock of the month club sock.  I made October my "Mystery Sock" knit along (basically, once a week, the lady who wrote the pattern published part of the pattern.  You had no idea what the finished sock would like until you were finished).  I finished these last night. 

 I hate these socks.  The colors looked so pretty in the hank (or skein, whatever you want to call it), and did absolutely NOTHING for me while knitting them.  In fact, the longer I knit them, the uglier they got.  The pattern wasn't a terrible pattern, however, it was a pain in the ass to knit this many cables with tiny yarn.  Drove me insane at points.  The pattern of the cuff to the leg also drove me insane.  It's hard to see in these pictures (I blame the lighting in my room and the crappy phone-camera), but they don't match each other.  As in, the cuff has little tiny cables.  Really annoying little tiny cables.  Then, the leg has weird checkerboard type boxes. 
THEN, the leg has bigger little cables.  WTF?  It irritated me so much while I was making them.  Checkerboards and cables DO NOT MATCH.  I felt intense hatred for the checkerboard part.  (I don't know why I was so irrationally disliking that part of the sock, but whatever).  I guess overall I will say that it's a nice enough pattern, and some people love the cables and checkerboardlook, it's just not my normal style that I would knit. 

In addition, while knitting these socks, I thought they were the UGLIEST things I HAD EVER SEEN.  But, once I actually finished the sock, it came together a little more and was a little less ugly to look at.  (It also looks cuter on the foot than off). 

However, this sock also proves how different my mom and I are when it comes to taste

She loves these socks.  In fact, they will soon be in her little hands so I can stop looking at them. :-) 

In addition to the knitting, there has been the traveling.  I spent the two weeks in Virginia for work.  Then, the weekend of Little H's birthday, I went to L's house in North Jersey, and this past weekend was spent in DC.  Poor Oscar has not been able to come with me on these little trips.  He spent the two weeks I was in Virginia with my parents (they are seriously awesome for taking him), then he got boarded at the vet's the weekend I went to North Jersey, and this past weekend he was back at my parent's house. 
Oscar already has some abandonment issues from before I adopted him.  All this change has left Oscar a LITTLE ANXIOUS about where he is.  I packed Sunday evening and got ready to head back to my place. 

Oscar made sure he sat in my pile of stuff I was bringing back to ensure he was not left behind.  He just wanted to remind me that he should come with me.  (Again, sorry about the quality of picture.  Stupid lack of a camera.)  However, he's the black blob next to the plastic bags.  He sat there until I told him to get in his crate and he jumped right in ready to go home. 

He better be careful, my parents might get the idea he doesn't like them. :-) 


EDIT:  I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THAT LITTLE SOCK PICTURE IS COMING FROM...IT'S NOT IN THE DRAFT...IT JUST MAGICALLY APPEARED. (AND APPARENTLY IS ONLY IN GOOGLE READER? SO CONFUSED)

*John Denver

0 comments:

Post a Comment