Monday, December 6, 2010

Don't worry you will find the answer if you let it go*

Before moving back north, I used to romanticize how much I loved the weather here.  I loved that it wasn't 100+ degrees every freaking day in the summer.  We get snow here, and I can wear my winter hats and gloves and scarves that I knit so frequently, and yet never was cold enough to wear in Virginia. 

What was I thinking? 

I spent FIVE minutes outside on Friday night walking Oscar and all I could think was, OH MY GOD IT'S EFFING COLD and it's going to get COLDER!  (I think my blood has maybe thinned out from living in the South, because I seriously don't remember it being SO COLD). 

And, to make it even more exciting, last week was my first week of "training" for my proposed next big race I'm trying to do.  However, my training is involving a VERY SLOW build-up of miles (like 48 weeks slow building up).  So, my last week consisted of a grand total of EIGHT miles (please, hold back the laughter). 

Breaking that down, it was four, 2 mile runs (outside...IN THE COLD).  However, on Friday, my knee was feeling a little twinge-y for some reason, and it was cold, and I was tired, and I had to drive to Delaware to visit J, and I just didn't want to run.  SO...I skipped the 2 mile run, and did my Burpees again and just ran as planned on Sunday. 

I thought a grand total of 6 miles and 55 burpees were totally the equivalent of 8 miles.  Also, I have FORTY EIGHT weeks to train. 

However, this week has shown me that I'm not really fully equipped to run in the winter up here.  In Virginia, I owned ONE pair of running tights, that were capri length, and sometimes felt like overkill (too warm) for the brisk Virginia winters. 

I wore these tights on Wednesday and Sunday's runs, and both nights I swear to God my ankles/lower calves were going to freeze mid stride and my foot was going to break off when I stepped down.  They were so cold.  The rest of me was actually somewhat ok (well, my face felt like it may fall off as well, but there's not much I can do for that), but, oh my poor ankles. 

So, my next purchase is going to have to be a pair of long running tights.  Because, this is just not going to work for me much longer. 

Oh, but on a completely different note, but still pants related.  I ordered a pair of snow pants (I'm supposedly learning how to ski this winter) and they arrived on Sunday.  I put them on and they are fantastically warm.  I tried to buy this awesome blue, green, and orange plaid pair, but they did not have my size.  So, I was stuck with plain black.  Boo.

However, the insides are SHINY!  (They have the emergency blanket technology on the inside to keep you warm).  So I suppose that will have to do.  Now I just need to find some sort of foam material I can wrap myself in that will protect me while I spend the day falling... 

*Sarah McLachlan

0 comments:

Post a Comment