Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Try to make a comeback with nowhere to start from now*


I love running in the park.  I love running on their trails through the woods.  I love not seeing anyone else while running these trails.  One of my favorite things about running is that it's all about me.  I like the solitude and quietness and alone time I have.  But, at the same time, I can never shake the feeling that someone is going to jump out and do something to hurt me.

When I was growing up, there was a park a few towns over that used to have a great loop for running, but I was never allowed to go by myself.  My mom used to walk in that park, but only if she was with a friend.  I was only allowed to go running there if her friend's son came with me. 

It's sad.  I shouldn't have to be scared to go running in a public park.  I shouldn't have to constantly look over my shoulder or give wide berths to areas that people could be hiding in.  I shouldn't have to constantly be a little nervous when I see someone ahead on the path and worry if they are waiting for someone, anyone to come along.  I shouldn't have to be scared to be in the park first thing in the morning, before other people are awake.

But I am.  Because something like this happens.  And while it's not something that happens every day.  It happens way too often for me to be comfortable with. 

So today...back on the treadmill. 


*Bowling for Soup

0 comments:

Post a Comment