Friday, March 5, 2010

It's not as easy as willing it all to be right*

I was finally allowed to attempt a 1.5 mile run yesterday.  (I never thought I would get so excited to increase a run by a HALF mile...but I was ecstatic!).  The first mile was great.  No twinges, no rolling of the ankles, just a nice easy mile.  That last half mile kind of sucked.  Around 1.25 miles my knee started feeling like it was going to give out again and it did a weird popping thing a few times, but nowhere near as bad as when I first hurt it. 

I have such a hard time now figuring out what's ok to run through and when I need to stop.  I'm worried I may be making a big deal out of nothing, but I'm also worried I may not be making a big enough deal.  I ran through the injury before and have caused almost 6 months of barely being able to walk (let alone run) and the last thing I want is that again.  So, do I just assume my knee is extra weak right now and it's going to be having these twinges or do I back off the mileage again (although seriously...I'm only running 1.5 miles...how much farther can I back off?). 

Frustration!!!!  ARGH!

Then, I had to take Oscar to the vet last night (we will ignore how I forgot about the appt and was super late...whatever).  I took him in to get his anal glands expressed (it's just a standing monthly appointment now), but while there I needed to get Oscar's nails clipped.  I can usually do his back legs myself no problem, but he FREAKS THE F OUT while doing his front ones.  So...I usually get the vet to do them.  Yeah, he was not a happy camper and freaked out worse than normal last night and mauled my neck.  It STILL hurts. 

Even more irritating...because he had JUST gotten the nails clipped they were super sharp and drew blood...whereas if they hadn't been cut they probably wouldn't have done anything. 

Here is a lovely shot of my neck so you can see what they looked like (after I got the bleeding to stop).



They look worse in person (again, my phone camera is not the best) but you get the general idea.  Cleaning these things hurt like a mother and I poured ridiculous amounts of hydrogen peroxide (it bubbled up like crazy) and bacitracin in the cuts hoping to avoid infection. 

It hurts to turn my neck too far today so driving to work was fun.  As was explaining to my co-workers that no, I didn't have an overly excited/scratch happy visit with a boyfriend last night.  Whatever. 

So, I was obviously irritated with the dog last night, and still not a huge fan of him this morning.  Until I saw him doing this: 



It's an empty bag of food, but he is DETERMINED to get every last crumb from inside.  I was too slow to get the picture of him completely inside the bag (the only thing sticking out was his tail), but this is still pretty damn cute.  As is he. 

How can I stay mad at something that cute.  He's so lucky he's little.  He gets forgiven for A LOT of stuff by A LOT of people just because he's so cute. 

I need to learn his secret.

Anyways, have a great weekend!

*Snow Patrol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am imagining what my neck would look like if nellie 'freaked the F out' while getting her nails cut ;) - J

Pickles and Dimes said...

That is quite the set of scratches - ouchie!

Love the photo! Even his butt is cute. :)

Post a Comment