Thursday, September 9, 2010

Remember how to put back the light in my eyes*

I have not had the time this year to do my fantasy football research.  In fact, I didn't even know when I was going to get a chance to rank my players, let alone who I should rank.  The night before my fantasy draft, I had a horrible dream that I didn't rank my players correctly and I got T.O. as my first pick.  I woke up all upset and worried and decided I needed to do something about this.

I ranked my players and got myself ready for the draft.  Unfortunately, I was working late that evening and was not going to get to actually draft my team, I was depending on the auto-draft feature. 

At 8:11 I get a text from my sister asking me for my password because the auto-draft messed up. 

All I could think was, "please don't be T.O."  I gave her my password and asked if it was T.O. .  Her response to me...it's worse.

Braylon Edwards.

SERIOUSLY? WTF. 

Can I just have TO instead? 

However, I'm just trying to get excited about the start of the football season, so in honor of the opening game, I made Jumbalaya, and I decided to share the super easy recipe because it tastes ridiculously yummy and it's ridiculously easy to make.  Which makes it one of my favorite recipes!

It uses a crockpot!  My favorite kind of cooking!

So without further ado...easy jumbalaya:

Ingredients:
2 bell peppers (I use 1 red and 1 yellow but you can use whatever you prefer)
2 cloves of garlic (I really like garlic and usually use 3-4 but most people prefer 2)
1 onion (red or yellow whichever you prefer)
Cooked Sausage (I usually use a smoked sausage, but any kind of cooked sausage works.  When I made it last night I used leftover Italian sausages from dinner the night before)
Cooked Shrimp
Rice (you can use whatever you like.  I used the Zataran's jumbalya mix or the dirty rice mix, but plain rice is fine as well)
Cajun spice mix (sold in stores, or you can just spice to taste with whatever you want).

Directions:
Pour the dry rice in the bottom of the crock pot
Dice up the onions, peppers, and garlic.  Toss them in the crockpot
Add the meat and shrimp. 
Add 2-3 cups of water (Don't cover all the ingredients with water.  Only need enough water to cover about 1/3 of the way up...so amount depends on the size of the crockpot).
Use a spoon and stir it all up.
Add as much or as little spice as you need.  I like it spicy so I add a lot of spice (the spice tends to cook off, so I overspice the food figuring it won't be that spicy at the end).
Stir one more time
Put on the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or medium for 3-4 hours. 

Enjoy!

Note:  If you want a spicier jumbalaya, I recommend mixing everything together the night before and putting the ingredients in a zip lock bag.  Add lots of spice and shake it up and leave to sit over night.  But it's not necessary. 

*Christina Perri

1 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

I love jambalaya!

Sorry about Edwards. I'm excited for my team this week, although it totally figures that my kicker (Longwell) would manage to get an extra point blocked. Jerk.

Post a Comment