Friday, October 1, 2010

Well we'll float on good news is on the way*

Yesterday was a very un-fun day.  In fact, I was ready to cry by the time I finally got home. 

About once a month we send all our old product and materials to be incinerated at the landfill.  However, due to safety, security, and tax purposes someone from the company has to go be a witness to the destruction. 

Since I am still not really doing anything at work yet (oy it takes forever to get necessary access around here), I agreed to do it.  However, I agreed to it without knowing all the details.  Such as the fact that the landfill is almost 2 hours away.  Or, that it was scheduled for the day of a huge Nor'easter (how do you spell that?). 

Worst trip ever. 

The truck was super late in the morning, and going to the landfill itself sucked, but whatever.  Nothing truly awful, just really wet, so I had to drive a little slower than normal but nothing too bad. 

Even at the landfill, it wasn't awful.  It smelled awful and it took a lot longer than it should have to unload the truck due to the lack of protective bags inside the boxes.  A couple of boxes broke and the product was all over the inside of the truck requiring a lot more sweeping than should have been necessary but whatever. 

However, coming home was awful.  At this point, most of the local roads were completely flooded.  So I was either driving in water at least 6-8" deep, or I wasn't even allowed on the roads.  It took me almost an hour to go 8 miles to the highway. 

Then, once on the highway, the rain and wind picked up.  It was raining so hard I could barely see 6 inches in front of my car and the wind almost blew my car off the road a few times.  The trucks were getting blown just as badly, and one literally almost forced me off the road into a river. 

I was exhausted by the time I finally made it back.  I contemplated driving back to the hotel and not even returning to work, but I realized I had to return the truck seal (it's how we prove that nobody tampered with the truck between our plant and the landfill) and signed paper work.  Sigh. 

My trip should have taken about 4 hours.  It took 7.  This also meant I didn't get a chance to sign up for today's lunch.  So, today, I had to go extra sandwich shopping (they always have extra sandwiches made for people that forgot to sign up, but they're usually not the best).  I got stuck with tuna fish.  And seriously.  I don't like tuna sandwiches that much.  :-( 

However, at least my lunch yesterday rocked.  L recommended I go to Isaac's deli and get a pretzel sandwich.  There was one on my way back home, and I decided to stop and eat there during the worst of the rain.  I figured I'd rather sit in a restaurant than sit in my car not moving. 

She was right.  This sandwich was awesome.  It was so yummy I had to take a picture.



I also got a bowl of Yankee Crab Soup (oh my goodness...AMAZING!).  Seriously.  At least my lunch yesterday rocked. 

*Modest Mouse

1 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

Goodness, that sounds sucky. At least lunch was yummy. I think about that restaurant often...I've contemplated the three hour drive just to get another :-)

Post a Comment