Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I want to touch the light, the heat I see in your eyes*

My last office in Richmond had an average temperature of 88 degrees, which is ridiculously hot. 

My office here in Pennsylvania has an average temperature of 62 degrees, which is ridiculously cold.  (Happy medium anyone?). 

Making it even worse, there is a vent in the ceiling right in front of my office that blows wind tunnel force air out pretty much constantly (I'm not kidding about how hard it blows, when I sit at my desk it blows my hair straight back and I'm about 10 feet away).  I don't really enjoy gale force winds blowing directly in my face...especially when they are freezing. 

I have no control over the air settings in this office, so my friend JL and I McGyvered a vent cover out of an old box (he has the same problem in his office, so we did it twice). 

This is how we spend our lunch hours around here:


We are also short on anything remotely resembling a tool or anything that could be considered useful.  This is made up of a box that used to hold a dry erase board, the red string that is used to close inter-office manilla envelopes (the thing you wrap around the round thing to hold it closed...and wow that was the most un-descriptive statement ever...), and a shoe lace. 

I'm proud of our mechanical skills to actually get this thing to stay hanging even with the force of the wind. 

I'm not going to say my office is exactly WARM now, however, it has made a HUGE difference to not have the wind blowing in my face all day.  And, with my space heater under my desk, my office is almost comfortable! 

And now that I have my office almost comfortable, I am leaving for a two week trip back to Virginia (oh how I'm dreading this drive).  I'm already missing my little O, I just hope he doesn't forget me before I come back! 

*Ben Harper (yes, I realize he's not the original, but that's the version playing on the radio right now)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

the vent right over my desk is covered in packing tape - b/c i used to have gale forces of wind blowing my hair daily as well :)

Post a Comment