Friday, February 5, 2010

I don't know where I'm going yet...but I sure am getting there.*


One of the things I don't like about living in VA is the fact I have to drive through Maryland to get back home.  Ugh.  I swear that state is full of the dumbest drivers (ok, VA isn't much better, but argh I HATE driving through Maryland).  I had contemplated looking for a new job near Baltimore until I realized that meant I would have to drive in the state on a daily basis.

Just some examples:

December 23, 2009 (one of the BIGGEST TRAVEL DAYS OF THE YEAR) - I'm driving home, and I sit on a one lane bridge for THREE hours not moving an inch.  I figured it HAD to be some horrible accident and I was trying not to get upset because obviously whoever was involved in that accident had a much worse commute than mine.  Until I realized why we were backed up.  Maryland had closed one of the lanes of the bridge to do maintenance near the toll booths.  WTF?  Is this really the best day to choose to do this?  Argh.  RAGE. 

Today - I'm driving home and we're going 5mph for about 2 miles.  The reason?  A cop was giving a ticket to someone in the Southbound lanes.  Ok, just so you know.  It is highly unlikely a cop is going to run across the four lanes of southbound traffic, jump the median, and then run across the four lanes of north bound traffic to give you a ticket.  I think you're safe driving the speed limit.  ARGH. 

I have many other complaints.  But those are the two most irrational decisions I've come across in Maryland.  And yes, the first one is not really the drivers fault...but it's still the type of traffic I would have to deal with if I lived in Maryland.

However, I will admit VA is also kind of stupid.  For example, it's only February 5 today, and our state is already almost out of salt for the roads.  Not to mention we got snow over a week ago...and some of the roads STILL haven't been plowed and the schools were closed for a week  We got like 6 inches.  Just saying. 

Anyways, now that I've bad-mouthed two states (I'm efficient like that), I guess I should say I'm in Delaware right now and will probably get snowed in for the weekend.  We're expecting about 18" or so of snow up here.  I'm curious to see how long it takes them to get plowed out.  I'm guessing it will be quicker than a week.  :-) 

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

*Five for Fighting

0 comments:

Post a Comment