Tuesday, October 18, 2011

There's an old voice in my head that's holding me back*

Past few weeks, I've been feeling kind of meh.  Some friends of mine have been pissing me off, same old crap.  I've just been kind of getting down on myself, so, I decided I would do Trapped's five things I'm great at.  

I had a hard time coming up with things (apparently I'm better at the whole self deprecation thing than I am at the self promoting thing).  However, I asked some people and came up with some things I agree with.

I am great at knitting.  Two friends from Virginia taught me how to do a knit stitch and a purl stitch.  From there, I've been able to teach myself everything else I've learned.  I knit awesome socks.  I knit awesome hats.  I knit almost awesome scarves.  I may not be the BEST knitter, but I'm pretty damn great for a casual knitter.  

I am a great friend.  I have a lot of patience.  I am generous with my time.  I drive ridiculously far to hang out with them.  I go out of my way to keep in touch with them.  

I am a great sister/daughter/aunt.  I am always willing to watch the nieces/nephews.  I make sure I visit my sisters and parents as often as possible.  I call home all the time.  I enjoy just spending time with them.  

I am great at making people laugh.  Granted, a lot of times, people are laughing AT me, but not always.  I am good with the witty comeback.  I make mundane activities (like running errands to Target) fun.  I tell stupid stories, but unless you're an ass, people appreciate that about me.  

And last but not least, I am great at reading.  I read like a fiend.  I HAVE to read for at least half an hour before bed each night, and usually can finish a short book in that time.  I don't "speed read", I actually read every word and usually retain the information.  I've had teachers accuse me of lying when I was younger because I would finish our silent reading assignments too quickly.  I'm great at it.  

So, some of these are kind of lame, but they're what I'm great at.  :-)

*Of Monsters and Men (anyone know anyone in Iceland?  I REALLY want this cd but can't get it here :-(  so sad)

4 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

I think you are awesome :-)

Pickles and Dimes said...

I would say that you're more than great at knitting - you're awesome! Love your stuff.

I'm the same way about reading. I can read a book during a lunch hour. I also had a teacher get mad at me during some assignment that measured reading speed. She said, "Well, there's NO WAY you'll answer these 10 quiz questions about the material correctly." But I did. :)

Anonymous said...

I've also found you to be an excellent listener. Just sayin :)

R said...

you really are the greatest friend anyone could ask for! i don't know anyone else as awesome, caring, understanding, patient (for sure), and non-judgmental as you are. you rock! :)

Post a Comment