Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Trip

First off, thank you everybody for all the happy birthday phone calls, texts, emails, facebook messages, whatever you sent. It was really nice to get so many.  :-)

Secondly, Chicago is soooo much fun. I always forget exactly HOW MUCH I love this city, until I go again. Every trip is so much fun, and it’s still on my list of cities to possibly live. (The winter is kind of crappy though, pretty much the only thing holding me back…).

I went with Spazzoid (she agreed to this name…) this time. We are not so good at the whole self portrait thing, however, I still think this is a pretty adorable picture of the two of us. We look amused and confused, which is pretty much how we probably looked the entire time here.


Well, maybe not amused the ENTIRE time. The Spazzoid wanted to kill me a few times with the whole walking thing. I am normally very anti-walking. I prefer to run or drive most places…EXCEPT when I’m on vacation in a new city. Then, I want to walk EVERYWHERE. Spazzoid does not. Compromises had to be made.

We also jam packed as much tourist-y things as possible into our two days in the city.

The very first thing we did was get pizza. Yummm…deep dish pizza that I’ve been craving for about 5 years now. (I’m contemplating having a frozen one delivered to my place as a welcome to your new home/yay oven gift to myself).


Why yes, I DID take a picture of my pizza...

We went to Navy Pier and rode the Ferris wheel and swings (the swings were awesome), and ate at Harry Caray’s. I still think the man was kind of weird looking, and the bronzed version is just creepy. I also got distracted walking back from the bathroom (I SWEAR I saw someone I knew) and wasn’t paying close attention and tried to sit down at some random people’s table. Ooops, my bad.


We went to the Sears Tower (Or, the Willis Tower I suppose now) and stood out on the little glass sky deck thing (slightly disconcerting when you first step out). Went to Millenium Park and took pictures of the bridge and the bean and the amphitheater thing. I actually really like that park. I apparently like weird metal sculpture type things.  Yeah, Blogger is pissing me off with picture lay outs and I'm not going to bother fixing it...sorry.

The Bean

The Amphitheater at Millenium Park

View from the Sears Tower

Sad attempt at a self portrait at the Sears Tower

Our hotel was conveniently located a block from Michigan Ave, so we obviously explored the shops (including the American Girl doll store). Saw this hilarious statue of Marilyn Monroe (who is beautiful even as a 30ish foot Amazon). The men were just excited to stand under her skirt.



We were also only about 4 blocks from the waterfront, so I got to go on my run along the Lakefront path. And it was absolutely beautiful and fun and I want to run along this path like every day of my life. It is awesome.


In fact, that’s pretty much the only word I can use to describe Chicago. It’s just awesome and I’m so glad I got to go for my birthday.

Now, let the week of moving commence. I’m almost in my new place!

1 comments:

R said...

The deep dish looks absolutely delicious!!!
Still giggling that you almost made new friends at the restaurant.
When did Marilyn get erected? (there was no easy way to phrase that so just deal)
and AWESOME lake waterfront!

Post a Comment