Thursday, August 4, 2011

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, Girl you look better with the lights off*

In 2005 (ish?), RR and I went to Scotland (as did my mom), and we decided to take a tour of the Scottish Highlands, that we affectionately refer to as the eating and sleeping tour of Scotland (I'll get to that in a minute).  

While on this tour, we went to Glen Coe, Loch Ness, and other famous Highland landmarks.  We went on this trip mid-March when it was freezing and raining pretty much every day.  Basically, a low mist hung over everything, all the time.  And while this made me have to wear pretty much every article of clothing packed at once for the whole trip, it also made the view of pretty much everything, absolutely beautiful.  

Yesterday, I went for a run in the park, and it was crazy.  It had just rained, and there was a low level mist floating on the path and over the river, and it looked amazingly like Scotland, except ridiculously warmer.  

It was probably the best run I've had all summer, and it made me feel SO MUCH BETTER and less irritable, and it was basically everything a run should be.  And, I was actually able to sleep well last night, so I'm finally feeling caught up on my sleep, and yeah, it's nice.

As for the eating and sleeping tour of Scotland, my mom really wanted a break from us, so she convinced us we should take a day trip to the Highlands.  On a bus.  

Anyone that knows me, knows that motion sickness and I are very well acquainted.  I do NOT do well as a passenger in back seats of cars or buses.  So, I'm not entirely sure why I thought a bus tour would be a good idea, but I bought my ticket, and then, I realized.  That was stupid.

I can kind of mitigate some of the effects of motion sickness by taking Dramamine and constantly eating candy/pretzels/etc.  Unfortunately, Dramamine tends to knock me out and all I want to do is sleep.  

So, this trip consisted of me falling asleep between bus stops and while not sleeping, eating twizzlers and pretzels.  Any time we would stop at a tourist center, I'd be feeling sick, so I'd go to the tea shop and get tea and scones.  And, RR being the awesome friend that she is, joined me.  I'm not kidding when I say on a 10 hour bus tour, we slept for 8 hours, ate at least 6 scones, drank at least 6 cups of tea, and god knows how many twizzlers and pretzels.  It was awful.  Even when we stopped for lunch and dinner, all we ate was scones and tea.  

I also have no recollection of anything on this tour other than Glen Coe (there was a random guy in a kilt with a sword there, which is really the only reason I remember this place) and Loch Ness (where the weird guy on the bus bottled some of the lake's water and then drank it on the way home on the bus).  

I would rank this as one of the worst days we had in Scotland, however, it's definitely one of our favorite Fat Kid memories from the trip. 

*New Boyz (I like this song, but I have yet to figure out how NOT to take this the wrong way?  I mean sure, THINK it, but don't TELL me this).  

1 comments:

R said...

this post made me sooo happy! that was an awesome awesome trip!

Post a Comment