Tuesday, July 5, 2011

There's something good waitin' down this road*

I really dislike being hot.  I dislike sweating (and unfortunately, I am one easily sweaty person).  I dislike feeling dirty.  I pretty much just hate the heat.  Summer is my least favorite time of the year (seriously, as much as I bitch about being cold all the time, I'll take a snow storm any day over a heat wave).  

Having said all that, I randomly kind of enjoy running in the summer.  

Seriously, my brain got wired wrong at birth.  It is so...contradictory it doesn't even make sense.  

However, I love the lack of warm up required.  I start running and about 10 steps in, I'm already loose and limber, and by a quarter mile, I'm sweating up a storm and I feel like a well oiled machine.  (Ok, that sounds ridiculous, and it's not as pie in sky as I just made it sound, but it's the closest I can get to explaining it).  When I run in the winter, I usually feel stiff and tight and cold for at least a mile before I warm up enough to enjoy the run, and seriously, if you're only running 2-3 miles.  That's a ridiculously long time to feel cold.

So, yes.  I enjoy running in the heat.  

Having said that though, I am positively vampiric when it comes to the SUN and the heat.  I slather on SPF 50+ sunscreen (yeah, I don't care what they say about SPF not really counting past 30 or whatnot).  I run in shaded areas at all times.  I wear a hat and sunglasses (well, the hat is also partly for bug protection since I run in shaded areas, which tend to consist of woods).  Basically.  I look like an idiot.


Also, I apparently can't smile when I'm wearing this stuff or taking my picture.  Not entirely sure which one is preventing the smile.  Possibly both?  

And as a random embarrassing side note.  I went to the grocery store after running.  While in the wegmans, a little girl asked her daddy, "Is she SOAKING wet?" in a HOW CAN THIS BE kind of tone of voice.  Her poor dad was horrified and was like SHUSH!  So I was amused, and yet, very self conscious after that (I mentioned above how easily I sweat).  I looked down at my front and I looked ok, but what if I was SUPER sweaty on my back (or even worse, my butt???).  What if it looked like I peed my pants or something (the things I am concerned about).  

I'm hoping it was just the pattern of my shirt.  You can kind of see in the picture above that it's a fake camo type pattern, that does look like I've been rained on.  I'm gonna go with that.  Less embarrassing.  :-)

*Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

0 comments:

Post a Comment