Thursday, July 28, 2011

All right in a sort of limited way for an off night*

I went to the dreaded mall yesterday with PD, my awesome co-worker to grab some dinner.  While there, I noticed this little boy standing in the middle of the food court all alone, crying and calling out for his mom.  All these people walked by and looked at him but did NOTHING to see if he was ok.

Seriously?  How do you not stop and see if he's ok???

So I walked over and started to talking to the kid, and oh, he was so heartbreakingly cute and I felt so bad for how scared he was.  He couldn't have been much older than 2, and he was so terrified, he could barely talk.  All he could say was he couldn't find his mom and he was scared.  I was trying to figure out if he knew his name or his mom's name and he just kept shaking his head no and not talking.   

Then, he put his hands up to be picked up, and said up and that he was scared and wanted his mommy and oy, completely broke my heart.  PD went to go find security, while I was standing there with the kid, and at this point FINALLY other people started coming up and asking if I had gone to get security, and really?  Why does it take someone doing something for other people to react?  It's a freaked out, crying kid who is obviously alone and scared.  It's not that hard to just stop and see if he's ok.  

So, security came and we couldn't get the kid to answer any questions to identify who he is, and then his mom comes running up, practically in tears, and he threw himself at her, and it all ended well and we went and got our dinner.  

But, it made me kind of sad that I was the first person to actually do something, when I know so many other people saw him standing there.  

**********

And now, completely switching gears.  The Chicago trip is full steam ahead.  I had already decided I was going to go even if I went alone, but then, my cousin who has yet to earn a nickname said she wanted to go, and Bug was on the fence and said she would possibly go if she could work it out with the hubbie and her work schedule.  

Sadly, Bug really couldn't work it out, but happily, the awesome cousin (who really NEEDS a nickname) is still coming and I bought the tickets today, and I'm so excited to go!  Is it my birthday yet??? 

*Paul Simon

3 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

I think the cousin should be named Marilyn.

Anonymous said...

As the mommy of an almost 2-year old, I just wanted to say Thank you. Thank you. If that had been my kid, I would have been so grateful that you did something about it. Luv ya.
-D

Anonymous said...

I was really expecting the first half of your entry to read "and then the guy with the camera came out and apparently I'm going to be on an episode of 'What would you do?' this fall." Way to be a kindhearted and kickass human being.

Also, what's wrong with "awesome cousin"? ...besides the fact that you have 15 of them?

Post a Comment