Thursday, May 26, 2011

Underneath your clothes, there's an endless story*

This is going to be the pink sweater saga.  

(However, first things first...the dragon fruit is ok.  It's not my favorite, but, definitely better than the persimmon I tried last week.)  

So, anyways, back to the pink sweater saga.  

I learned to knit about 5 years ago (wow, has it really been that long?  Is that really right D?).  I was still in the hats and scarves stage, but I decided to attempt a baby sweater for Little J (wow, it really WAS 5 years ago).  After that turned out to be successful, L told me she wanted a bright pink (think bubblegum pink) sweater.  

We looked for a while, and found this really pretty pink yarn from www.knitpicks.com (seriously, the best yarn website, I go and add things to my wish list all the time...).  Now, keep in mind, L had just had a baby not that long ago, and was not back to her pre-pregnancy size. 

So, I excitedly cast on and started knitting.  And knitting.  And knitting.  I got about halfway up the back of this monster, and realized, A - it was HUGE, as in, it would probably have fit at least two of L.  And B - L had lost a lot of weight and now it would probably have fit 3 of her.

I put it aside for a few months (probably closer to a year).  Then, she started asking for it again, so I pulled it back out of its hiding place, and started ripping it out.  

I found a sweater that looked a little less boring, and re-cast on for skinny L.  This sweater was a lot more difficult (lots of cables), but I was persevering.  Then, L got pregnant again.  And gained weight again.  And I had no frame of reference to use for size (yeah, L, would never actually measure herself and let me know how big to make this damn thing).  So, I put it aside again and refused to look at it.

After she had H, she lost a bunch of weight.  Yay, the sweater should fit.  So I pulled it back out and started knitting again.  Then, she lost even more weight.  And I realized I was deluding myself.  This thing would not fit her.  It was at least a size and a half too big, and it wasn't the type of sweater that would look ok if it's not fitted.

So, I ripped back the sweater.  Again. 

I re-cast on and found a new sweater that was a lot easier than the last one.  I cast on based on what I was guessing was her size (again, wouldn't give me any measurements!).  She got pregnant again.  I said screw it.  I don't care, I'm going to continue making it this size.  She'll eventually not be pregnant and it will fit.

I finished the body of the sweater last week (Ha, only took 2 years!) and started the first sleeve.  Then, I thought, I should make sure this thing fits her before I do both sleeves.  I brought it up to her this weekend to try on.

Two things. 

A - I'm an idiot.  The sleeve I started?  Yeah, I started it INSIDE OUT.  Idiot.

B- IT DOESN'T EFFING FIT!  It's too small.  

I am pretty sure I am just going to burn the yarn at this point.  It is obviously not meant to be made into a sweater for L.  I never want to look at this thing again.  

*Shakira

1 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

guess I'll just have to lose more weight.

Post a Comment