Sunday, June 26, 2011

this room will stay just as it is now for quite some time*

Anyone that has been reading L's blog, has probably already seen that I am moving in September, and L has already decorated almost my entire house/apt for me.  And it rocks.  

Unfortunately, I do not have much in the way of furniture (when I lived in VA, I had a lot of...unfinished rooms).  Therefore, I'm feeling like I'm attempting to furnish (and decorate) an entire house at one time and, I'd rather not spend all my money doing this.

So, L has donated some things to the cause, I'm going to be buying a lot from Ikea (luckily, I really like modern furniture, so Ikea is great for me) and Craigslist, and I'm initially buying some things that I'm not entirely enthralled with if they meet my budget (or you know...is free).  

Perfect example.  L designed my living room and it rocks.  I love it.  Included in this living room design, is this $5 chair I found on craigslist.  


Yeah, this thing is ugly , and not exactly a living room chair style.  But, it was $5 (and I got two of them!) so I figured, I was willing to learn to love them because a $5 chair frees up more money to put towards the rest of the place, and in a while, I can upgrade to a nicer chair hopefully.

In what involved a ridiculous amount of driving this morning, I went to pick up my two ugly chairs today, with my $10 in pocket, ready to be spent.  The owners of the aqua chairs also had 5 of these red and tan brocade type chair and needed to get rid of them, so they asked if I wanted it.  Never one to turn down free furniture, I am now the proud owner of THREE ugly chairs (instead of the original two I had planned).


Is it sad that I am excited to own three ugly chairs?  

This chair, at least kind of matches the color scheme of the rest of the living room (ha, not really, I just pretend it does) AND it was pretty damn comfortable (surprising no?).  I will be attempting to improve my slip-covering skills sometime in the near future I imagine. One of the aqua chairs will now go in my "study" (the room otherwise known as the catch-all of my mismatched/un-needed furniture), and either my bedroom (where it will somewhat match the rest of the room) or the basement (which is going to be the spare bedroom).  Oh, the possibilities.

Tomorrow, I'm going to look at this cedar chest I found on Craigslist.  I'm hoping it's in decent shape and can either go at the foot of my bed or will be my new coffee table until I can find a steamer trunk I like and is in my price range.   


So, progress is being made.  Even if I don't move until sometime in September or October.  However, the amount of stuff I still need to buy is a little intimidating.  I'm hoping I have more furniture than I remembered in storage (and that it's not entirely hideous), and maybe I won't need to buy as much as we think. :-) Wouldn't that be lovely?

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend!  I'll give another post about what I actually did this weekend (that necessitated ridiculous amounts of driving) tomorrow or the next day.  I think I've already done a ridiculous amount of writing and I'm amazed if you made it this far!

*Dan Mangan

0 comments:

Post a Comment