Monday, January 9, 2012

What's the deal with my brain? Why am I so obviously insane?*

Does anyone else have a completely ridiculous belief that you KNOW isn't true, but just believe in it anyway to make yourself feel better?

Example:

I believe that as long as I go running and get back home before 9PM, I'm perfectly safe running at any time of the day.  Ha! I know for a fact this isn't true.  I was accosted at least twice (maybe more?) in college running in broad daylight (luckily, I was a lot faster then), I know of someone that was attacked running at night, and I always manage to find the news stories about people shot, raped, kidnapped, whatever at various times of the day.

HOWEVER, I really don't get to run enough as it is for my mental sanity (and even joining a gym won't really help, because I can't run on a treadmill.  Just can't do it) and, in the winter, the only time I get to run is after work, when it's dark.  

Therefore, I've come up with the belief that as long as I can get home before 9, I'll be ok.  Completely and utterly illogical I know, but without this belief, I'd become very hermit like and would probably just never leave the house.  

So, I believe it anyway.

In case you couldn't tell, I went running today.   I managed to squeeze in 4 miles before 9PM (got home at 8:52).  I'm an idiot.  If I complain to anyone tomorrow about how sore I am, I want you to point me to this post and remind me that I'm an idiot.  I am really not up to 4 miles of running. I should be sticking with my 2-3.  Especially when it's this cold out.

*Weezer

0 comments:

Post a Comment